"Feta Cheese"

As a vegetarian I always found that tangy cheeses like feta and goat had a certain "je n'sais quoi" about them that really just made a dish. No reason to give that up as a vegan! I've modified this recipe from one I found online a while back, though in an attempt to link to it now I could not find it :(. So if this looks similar to your recipe, please post in the comments so I can give credit where credit is due!

For this recipe you will need to press your tofu before starting. If you are new to pressing tofu, ready my post about it here. The cheese, while quick to prepare, needs to marinate for a few hours before serving, so plan accordingly.


"Feta Cheese" (makes 1 1/2 - 2 cups)


1 pkg. firm or extra firm tofu, drained and pressed

1 Tbls. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbls. olive oil
1/3 cup red wine vinegar

Combine all of the ingredients, except the tofu, in a shallow tupperware. 




Crumble in the tofu and mix, using your hands. Marinate in the fridge for a few hours before serving.



I think the sound the tofu makes as you are mixing it in with your hands is pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment