Ricotta Cheese

At the risk of discouraging you from reading this post, I have never liked ricotta cheese. When I ate dairy I tolerated small amounts of it in lasagna but I have never been crazy about it. Though sometimes you just need ricotta cheese! My parents had a dinner party last weekend and my mom made lasagna roll-ups (basically spread the lasagna ingredients on a flat lasagna noodle, roll it up, and bake it with cheese and sauce. Amazing.). She asked me to bring vegan ricotta cheese so she could make mine separately and after checking out a couple recipes online, this is what I came up with. And I definitely like this ricotta cheese!

Ricotta Cheese (makes 1 1/2 cups)

1 package extra firm tofu
2 Tbls. nutritional yeast
1 Tbls. lemon juice (fresh is best)
1 Tbls. tahini
1 Tbls. white miso paste
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt

Start by pressing the tofu. While it is pressing, mix the other ingredients together in a large bowl.


Crumble the tofu into the seasonings and mix together with your hands. Use however you would use ricotta cheese (though it does not melt!).


No comments:

Post a Comment