Brownie Brittle

A while back I came across a recipe for gluten-free (but not vegan) cookies that used powdered sugar instead of flour and granulated sugar. Aaron and I had a housewarming party last weekend and I couldn't find the recipe when I wanted to veganize it so our gluten-free guests would have a dessert...so I attempted it myself. It was a failure in the sense that it was totally not cookies but a success in that the resulting product was amazing. I had no idea what to call it and Aaron immediately knew it was brownie brittle. When I asked him what brownie brittle was he said "It's that. What you made, we're calling it brownie brittle." So there you have it. Fudgy, chewy, melt-in-your-mouth amazing brownie brittle

Brownie Brittle (makes 1 sheet)

1 Tbls. Ener G Egg Replacer Powder
1/4 cup water
2 Tbls. vegan butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
Splash of vanilla extract
Pinch of sea salt
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare a large baking tray with a sheet of parchment paper. In a large bowl combine the Ener G and the water and let it sit for a few minutes.


In a small bowl microwave the butter until softened. Add to the "egg" mixture along with the rest of the ingredients and beat until smooth.

Note: My sincerest apologies if your beaters turn your kitchen into a powdery mess like ours do. Aaron had the idea to put the bowl in the sink to beat it but that only spread the mess to the area surrounding the sink. With all due respect to those who have lived through dust bowls, this is what I imagine it must be like. Next time, we're beating outside.


Drop the mixture about 1 Tbls. at a time onto the baking sheet, as if you were baking cookies. Bake for 12 minutes and, hey, no cookies!


Let cool, then tear into pieces for serving.


Or just, um, eat it off the tray.


PS I was eating brownie brittle as I wrote this post. Aaron is folding laundry right now. Win.

No comments:

Post a Comment