Pad Thai

Last night I was laying in bed lamenting how I was not eating pad thai at the moment and started googling recipes for it. Aaron kindly reminded me that I had leftover Thai in the fridge (delish, but not pad thai) and I jumped at the opportunity to enjoy something while still feeling a little bummed that it wasn't exactly what I wanted. You know the feeling. At any rate, it inspired me to make my own recipe since nothing I found online was jiving with me. The best part about this recipe (other than its superb yumminess) is that you can prepare so much of it ahead of time so when dinnertime comes it only takes about 20 minutes. Order out no more and make your own pad thai! (Which I have heard isn't actually authentic Thai food. Regardless, I love it!)

Pad Thai (serves 4)

1 package extra firm tofu
2 cups broccoli florets
2 cups cauliflower florets
1 cup shredded carrot (1 large carrot, if you're shredding it yourself)
1 1/2 cups bean sprouts
2 green onions, chopped
2 Tbls. chopped cilantro
1/4 cup peanuts, finely chopped
1 lime, quartered
~7 oz. rice noodles
1 Tbls. toasted sesame oil
2 Tbls. canola oil

For the sauce (whisk everything together):
1/4 cup + 2 Tbls. peanut butter (melted for ease of whisking)
1/4 cup + 1 Tbls. water
Juice of 1/2 lime
2 Tbls. brown sugar
! Tbls. + 1 tsp. tamarind paste
2 Tbls. white miso paste
1-2 tsp. of siracha (optional)
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
2 Tbls. Bragg's liquid aminos (or tamari, or soy sauce)
1 tsp. rice vinegar
1 Tbls. agave nectar
1 tsp. fresh grated ginger



Note: If you want to prepare things ahead of time...prepare the broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and sauce and store in the fridge until you're ready to cook.

If you haven't prepared the veggies and sauce ahead of time, start pressing the tofu. While it is pressing, prepare the veggies and sauce and set aside. If you have already prepared the veggies and sauce, start pressing the tofu and let it hang out for 10-15 minutes while you make sure you have everything else set to go, or just do something else.

In a large pan (my wok was too small and I went with the soup pot) heat the oil over medium heat. Chop the tofu into small cubes and saute the tofu along with the broccoli and cauliflower for about 5 minutes.


Start boiling the water for the rice noodles. Once it is boiling, dump the noodles in and turn off the heat. Let them sit for 4 minutes.


After you put the noodles in, add the carrot to the tofu mixture and continue to cook.


After 4 minutes, drain the noodles and add to the tofu mixture along with the bean sprouts and sauce. Stir and cook for about another minute.


Turn off the heat and stir in the green onions. Spoon into bowls and serve topped with cilantro, peanuts, and a wedge of lime for squeezing over the top.



1 comment:

  1. This seems to be a fantastic recipe. Thank you for sharing. In comparison to other recipes, pad thai recipe to be one of my favorites. I attempted a similar authentic pad thai recipe a few days ago and it was fantastic. Your way of cooking pad thai recipe is also appealing to me. I will surely give a try and share my feedback.

    ReplyDelete