Tortillas

On the recommendation of my uncle I've been reading Born to Run by Chris McDougall, and the food of choice in the book is bean burritos. Thus, I was inspired to make a bean burrito for lunch today and had everything on hand but the tortilla. So I made some myself and I was pretty happy with the results. I'm not an expert tortilla maker though, so if you have words of wisdom, please share. Experiment with different flours or non-dairy milks for different results.

Tortillas (makes 3-6, depending on size)

3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 tsp. sugar
Dash of salt
1/4 cup warm water
2 Tbls. warm soy milk

In a medium bowl combine the dry ingredients. Add the water and soy milk and stir until fully combined. You may need to add a bit more warm water. Knead for a few minutes until the dough forms a ball. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.


Divide the dough into portions of however many tortillas you want to make. I made 3 fairly large ones but do as you please. Knead each portion for a minute or so, form into a ball, and cover with a wet paper towel for 20 minutes.


Heat a dry pan over medium heat. Flour your work surface and rolling pin. Roll out the tortillas one at a time as thin as you can. Cook on each side for a couple minutes, until small bubbles start to form and the edges tortilla pulls away from the pan. While one tortilla is cooking, roll out the next one. Cool on a wire rack.

If you're not serving them immediately, heat them up by wrapping in a damp towel and microwaving for 30-40 seconds.


No comments:

Post a Comment