Spinach Basil Pesto

My mom has been making pesto since I was a little kid. Because she is a real grown-up she can afford to use ingredients like basil and pine nuts, and man is her pesto good! Because I am still living in the land of grad school debt I needed to find a cheaper way to make tasty pesto sauce. I also needed to get that acid pop in there that the parmesan cheese typically provides. I think this one turned out pretty well but I guess my mom will have to be the judge of that. Use it on pasta, pizza, sandwiches, or as a dip for veggies.

Spinach Basil Pesto (makes 1 cup)

4 cups packed baby spinach leaves
1/4 cup packed basil leaves
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup cashews, lightly toasted
1/4-1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. white vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil

Add all of the ingredients except the olive oil to your food processor and pulse about 10 times until the spinach is chopped. You may need to scrape down the edges of the food processor with a spatula.


Run the motor on high and slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Blend for a few minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment