Pesto Grain Salad

Aaron and I had some friends over a couple weeks ago and made this pesto over pasta - which all of us were big fans of. It was a busy weekend and my finger was still on the mend (update: It's functional now) so I made a double batch of the pesto to use in my lunch. This dish is kind of nostalgic for me because pesto over rice was one of my favorite quick meals in high school. People typically think of pesto as being for pasta and *maybe* bread products like bruschetta or pizza but I say do what you makes you happy and put your pesto on whatever food (or spoon) you want!

Pesto Grain Salad (makes 5 servings)

1 recipe spinach basil pesto
1 1/4 cup any grains you want, cooked according to package directions (I used a mixture of rice and spelt. You can easily make this gluten free depending on what grains you use.)
~3 cups chopped kale
1/2 any onion, chopped
2 cans navy beans, drained and rinsed
2 Tbls. canola oil
Salt and pepper.

Start cooking your grains. While they are cooking, chop the kale and onion. Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pan and sauté the kale and onion until they are cooked as much as you want. Season with salt and pepper.


While the kale and onions are cooking, make the pesto.


When everything is done combine the grains, veggies, beans, and pesto in a large bowl. And you're done!

No comments:

Post a Comment