Tofu Breakfast Hash

I came up with this dish several years ago and have made it several times since. It is sweet and savory, super easy, and a hit at brunch. It is my go-to dish for serving or bringing to others for any meal before 1:00 pm and since I had some friends over for brunch this morning, I figured I may as well blog about it. I recommend using a food processor if you have one, otherwise budget in extra time and armwork for prepping the potato, onion, and garlic. And if you're worried about being short on time in the morning you can chop them the night before and keep them in the fridge.

Tofu Breakfast Hash (serves 4-6)

1 block extra-firm tofu
1 medium sweet potato, coarsely shredded
1 red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbls. canola oil
1 Tbls. vegan butter
Salt, pepper, cinnamon, and turmeric, to taste

Start by pressing the tofu. While the tofu is pressing, prep the potato, onion, and garlic.

In a large skillet (I use a wok) heat the oil and butter over medium heat. Add the potato and saute for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. While the potato is cooking, chop the tofu into bite-sized pieces and add to the potato as soon as you are done chopping. Add the onion and garlic and continue to saute until the potato is tender. Season to taste (but I recommend going light on the salt - too much and the dish is ruined).


No comments:

Post a Comment