French Toast

French toast has always been one of my favorite breakfast foods and was one of the first things I learned to cook on my own. The Chicago Diner and Meli Cafe both have vegan french toast but when I'm making it at home, this is how I roll:

French Toast (makes 6 slices)


6 slices bread (we used cinnamon cranberry bread)

1 pat vegan butter
1/2 frozen banana (it does not taste like banana, I promise!)
1/2 cup non-dairy milk, plus more as needed
Dash of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Tbls. applesauce

Blend all ingredients (except the bread and butter) to make the batter. If it is too thick, add more milk as needed. I pour it in a tupperware to soak the bread for easy storage if there is any leftover. 




Heat the butter over medium heat until melted. Meanwhile, soak the bread in the batter a minute or two on each side. Cook on one side until golden brown, flip and repeat. 



The swirliness of the bread lent itself to mass destruction in the pan. It still tasted great.

If you really want an epic breakfast, make a PBJ out of 2 slices of french toast :).

No comments:

Post a Comment