Smoky Cheddar Cheese Spread/Dip

At a work meeting yesterday someone brought cheese and crackers as a snack and I couldn't stop staring. I'm chalking it up to the baby hormones, as lately I've been loving looking at cheese but maintaining my lack of interest in actually eating it. Sometimes I google pictures of cheese. I once put that cubed, cocktail cheese in our grocery cart so I could look at it while we shopped and then made Aaron put it back on the shelf when we were checking out. But I've never wanted to actually eat it. Making sliceable vegan cheddar cheese takes a few days and ain't nobody got time for that. So I looked up a cheddar cheese spread recipe, made it, and...it was not good. So I made my own today. Eating it now. Getting food all over my computer. Don't care.

Smoky Cheddar Cheese Spread/Dip (makes 1 1/2 cups)

1 cup cashews, soaked in water for several hours
2 sun dried tomatoes, soaked in water for several hours (use the large flat dry kind, not the oil-packed kind)
1 Tbls. white vinegar
1 tsp. yellow mustard
2 Tbls. nutritional yeast
1 Tbls. tahini
1/2 Tbls. Bragg's liquid aminos
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. turmeric powder
1/8 tsp. smoked paprika (if you don't want it "smoky," leave this out, or use regular paprika)
1/4 tsp. citric acid
1/8 tsp. sea salt
1/4 cup water

Drain and rinse the cashews and tomatoes. Blend all ingredients together until smooth. Refrigerate.


Yummy on a cracker (Bite-Size Everything Crackers from Trader Joe's).


This is what one's kitchen looks like after trying to invent vegan cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment