French Fries for 1 or More

I haven't been posting a lot lately because I've been too busy making french fries. Just kidding about the not-posting part, totally serious about the copious amounts of french fries. Do you know how hard it is to find vegan french fries in restaurants? Potatoes are vegan. Oil is vegan. Salt is vegan. But when you fry those spuds in the same fryer as your calamari and chicken fingers? Not cool. I've always loved french fries but just haven't had them regularly for this reason. So when I happened upon a bag of potatoes a few weeks ago (I made "real" Mr. Potato Heads with my kids at work - one of the many benefits of working with children - and we had a ton of potatoes leftover) I took to it and made my own fries. I've been perfecting this recipe, not that it's that hard. But these are great because you can make them for just you, or for however many people you want. They are so easy to make, no deep fryer required.

French Fries (serves however many people you want)

1 small-medium russet potato per person you are serving
Coconut oil
Sea salt
Any other seasonings you want
Ketchup or other dip for serving (optional)

Preheat the oven to 400 F. Wash the potato and peel, if desired (I don't). Microwave for 1-2 minutes just to make it easier to cut. Don't over-nuke it though, otherwise it will just mush under the knife. Cut into french fry shapes, as thin or thick as you want. I used a mandolin the first time and they turned out way too thin, but if yours cuts the way you want then that may be easier. 

Place on silpat or parchment paper on a baking tray. Drizzle liberally with coconut oil and sprinkle generously with salt and any other seasonings you want. Toss it all around and arrange the fries so they aren't touching each other.


Bake for 20-25 minutes until they are slightly golden and crispy, turning once halfway through. The coconut oil will be all foamy and bubbly as they cook, don't worry, this is fine!


Drain on a paper towel and serve immediately with your favorite dip.



No comments:

Post a Comment