Tex-Mex Grain Salad

Admittedly I was feeling lazy when it came to preparing lunch for the week. There were no creative juices flowing when it came to what to pack so I chose the easy way out and prepared a salad that requires minimal cooking. It is quite tasty though, so I can hardly complain! I made this with oat groats because I wanted to try something new, but on second thought quinoa would have been a much better choice. I'm allergic to bell peppers but from what I know of their taste I think they would be a good addition to this dish too. 

Tex-Mex Grain Salad (makes 4 lunch servings)


1 cup grains, cooked (see note about quinoa above)

1 can pinto or black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
4 leaves Tuscan kale, chopped
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
Healthy drizzle of sesame oil
Juice and pulp of 1 lime
Cumin, salt, and pepper to taste

Cook the grains according to the package directions. Drizzle with sesame oil and stir to keep them from sticking together as they cool.


Put the corn in a microwave-safe bowl and just cover it with water. Zap it for 90 seconds and drain, rinsing in cold water.


Combine everything in a large bowl or pot and lunch is made! 



Cook the grains in a much larger pot than you actually need and that's one less dish you have to wash ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment