Lazy Vegan Dinner

A former co-worker once told me that she imagines every dinnertime in my kitchen to look like an episode of Top Chef. Far from the truth, my friend. This recipe is quick to prepare and is my go-to dinner on busy weekday nights or when I don't have any creative inspiration to make something else. This dish is extremely versatile and great for when you have random vegetables in the fridge that you need to use up.

Lazy Vegan Dinner


Veggies of your choice (however much and what kind is up to you. I'd say a cup or so of chopped veggies works well)

1/2 cup of beans of your choice
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 tsp. baking powder
Pinch of salt 
2 Tbls. non-dairy milk
2 Tbls. guacamole or chopped avocado
Pat of vegan butter
Drizzle of oil (any kind you like)
Seasonings (Your choice, I usually use salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Try to contain your excitement at my originality.)
Siracha or hot sauce (optional)

Heat the oil in a medium pan. Saute your veggies and beans until cooked, adjusting the cooking time according to what you're adding. When they are almost done, season to taste.



Cauliflower, kale, tomatoes, and edamame. Because that's what I had.

When the veggies are about halfway done, heat the butter in a small pan. In a small bowl mix together the cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Then add the milk and stir to combine. Pour the batter into a pan and cook it like a pancake*. It will take about 5 minutes to cook, flipped halfway through.




Top the pancake with your veggie mix and a dollop of guacamole or avocado. Add Siracha, if desired.




* For reasons unbeknownst to me the pancake sometimes fails to be a pancake and turns into a crumbly mess in the pan. If this happens, just scoop it into a bowl and eat it that way.

1 comment: