Coconut Chip Ice Cream

Sometimes when I make something really tasty for Aaron I think back to before we met each other, when our mutual friend who set us up on a blind date asked him "She's a vegan, are you okay with that?" I always tease him that he thought I just ate raw vegetables all day long and that he never thought I would make all of the yummy foods, especially desserts, that are a far cry from raw vegetables. (Don't get me wrong, I eat baby carrots like candy. I could devour an entire cucumber in one sitting. But also, I love ice cream.) Aaron's favorite flavor combination is coconut and chocolate so this is my love letter to him, in ice cream form. Personally it's not my favorite since it's too coconutty for me, but he loves it. If you like coconut and chocolate, you probably will too.

Coconut Chip Ice Cream

2 cups non-dairy creamer
1 cup coconut milk, divided
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup coconut, toasted
2 Tbls. arrowroot powder
1 tsp. coconut extract
3/4 cup chocolate chips

Start by toasting the coconut. Watch it carefully so it doesn't burn!


Blend together the creamer, 1/2 cup of coconut milk, and sugar.


In a small bowl mix together the remaining 1/2 cup of coconut milk and the 2 Tbls. of arrowroot powder.


In a large pot heat the coconut mixture until boiling, then quickly whisk in the arrowroot mixture to thicken. Cool at room temperature and whisk in the coconut extract. Refrigerate until cool and make according to your ice cream maker's instructions.


While the batter is cooling, make the chocolate flakes as I do here. Add to the ice cream in the last few minutes of churning.


No comments:

Post a Comment