Blueberry Muffins

My fieldwork had a potluck breakfast the other day so I decided to make muffins. Somehow I thought that making up a recipe on the fly would be easier than using any of my go-to muffin recipes but these turned out great and got stellar reviews from my co-workers. One woman even said they tasted healthy and I felt bad breaking the news to her that they were not exactly "health food." I will definitely be making these again, especially since Aaron was not happy that I was baking things he couldn't eat right away.

Blueberry Muffins (makes 9)

1/2 cup soy milk
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice (fresh is best)
Zest of 1/2 lemon (use the same one you just juiced)
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Preheat your oven to 350 F. In a small bowl combine the soy milk and lemon juice and set aside for a few minutes. It will curdle and become like buttermilk.

In a large bowl combine the lemon zest, oil, and sugar. Add the soy milk mixture.


In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly stir into the wet ingredients. Then stir in the blueberries.


Line 9 muffin tin and divide the batter equally. Bake for 25 minutes and cool on a wire rack.


If you're looking for a healthier version of these muffins, look no further.

No comments:

Post a Comment